Have you read 5 Love Language by Gary Chapman? Strange connection I know but bear with me! The book is about the language, in this case of love, that we communicate in. The language through which we best receive and give love. Well…I don’t know about Joseph’s love language – possibly it is Words of Affirmation. I am pretty sure of one thing though – he listened to the language of dreams!
There are many ways in which the LORD communicates with us. Peace. His Word. Prayer. Silence. Friends. Sermons. Devotionals…the list goes on. Dreams were seemingly an effective way to get Joseph’s full attention because there are four recorded incidents in Matthew’s gospel.
(A note just to clarify, we are referring to Joseph the husband of Mary, mother of Jesus.)
- “So her husband Joseph, being a righteous man, and not wanting to disgrace her publicly, decided to divorce her secretly. But after he had considered these things, an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared to him in a dream, saying, ‘Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid to take Mary as your wife, because what has been conceived in her is by the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to name Him Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.'” Matthew 1:19-21 HCSB
- “After they were gone, an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, ‘Get up! Take the child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I tell you. For Herod is about to search for the child to destroy Him.'” Matthew 2:13 HCSB
- “After Herod died, an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, saying, ‘Get up! Take the child and His mother and go to the land of Israel, because those who sought the child’s life are dead.'” Matthew 2:19-20 HCSB
- “But when he heard that Archelaus was ruling over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And being warned in a dream, he withdrew to the region of Galilee.” Matthew 2:22 HCSB
One of the things I love about this continuation of the dream encounters between Joseph and the LORD is the image of His continual guidance. These dream messages come from a God who is continually watching over His people, His plan, and His purpose.
- “Indeed, the Protector of Israel does not slumber or sleep. The LORD protects you; the LORD is a shelter right by your side.” Psalm 121:5 HCSB
- “Look, I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go. I will bring you back to this land, for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” Genesis 28:5 HCSB
- “and whenever you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear this command behind you: ‘This is the way. Walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21 HCSB
- “I will lead the blind by a way they did not know; I will guide them on paths they have not known. I will turn darkness to light in front of them and rough places into level ground. This is what I will do for them, and I will not forsake them.” Isaiah 42:16 HCSB
What language does God communicate to you in? Take comfort in knowing that the everlasting God is with you and is watching over you ~ and your dreams!
One more point that I note from Joseph’s dreams. God used one dream to place Joseph, Mary, and Jesus in Egypt to keep them safe from Herod, then He used another dream to bring Joseph, Mary, and Jesus in the land of Israel, only to then appear in another dream directing them to Narareth. Why? God’s plan!
“Then he went and settled in a town called Nazareth to fulfill what was spoken through the prophets, that He will be called a Nazarene.” Matthew 2:23 HCSB
My sweet friends, and I speak to myself here, do not miss this beautiful truth. Sometimes God will place a dream in your heart that will lead you into a place, or a season of your life, only to reshape and redirect you to a different destination. Sometimes the initial dream is a stepping stone to realizing the full fulfillment of your calling in God’s plan ~ and sometimes there may be multiple stepping stones of redirection along the way, but they are all part of God’s perfect plan.
Sidewalk Prophets ~ Help Me Find It
Disclaimer: Welcome to my “31 Days to Dream” and thank you for joining me on this journey. I don’t hold the road map for October–God does! He started the journey by taking me down a path of memories, some of which I had long forgotten. He showed me how He has made my childhood dreams come true in ways that I could never have imagined. He is giving me FAITH and HOPE for the road ahead. Together, we are now spending time looking at dreamers in the Bible to learn from their lives. I am excited to see where He leads my dreaming over this month of #Write31Days 🙂 You can find my other 31 Days to Dream posts here!