I LOVE Toy Story!!! When I think of these girls I can’t help singing ~ “You’ve Got a Friend in Me!”
When I was younger I remember hearing some lies about friendship that sunk deep into my heart:
- Your school friends will remain your best friends for life – well I left my small town in Scotland after school and didn’t go to one of the cities all my friends went for University – I went to work with horses and lost contact with most of my school friends so that won’t work out too well for me!
- You will never form close friendships after the age of 30 – I was told by that age everyone had their life long friends locked in and no-one had room for another friend. I had to let go of a lot of my friends from my 20s so that’s not so good for me either!
- You have to live close to your friends – moving from Scotland to the U.S. would therefore mean saying goodbye to some friends. Add into that the fact that I was immigrating over the age of 30 and well, basically there was no hope for me!!!
When I moved to the U.S. in 2012 I prayed for God to bring friends into my life. My dream was to break through these lies that had taken root in my heart and not only remain friends with people in Scotland, but also to form lasting friendships with women in the U.S.
He FAR exceeded my expectations by drawing me to Proverbs 31 Ministries Online Bible Studies. Fast forward 15 months and I am now privileged and blessed to serve as a volunteer on the P31OBS Team and have made some of the best friends of my life! We recently had a P31OBS retreat in the mountains of North Carolina and many of these friends I was meeting face-to-face for the first time!
The other lie I had believed:
- You have to be in the same stage of life to form a real connection!
These girls are some of my dear friends I have made through P31OBS and have been able to spend time with on more than one occasion.
We are made up of a part-time student, full-time workers, and two stay-at-home moms. Three of us have kids and there’s a mother to be. Four of us own homes and two of us rent apartments. We have football lovers…and one who used to called soccer football! We include a photographer, a scrap-booker, one (or maybe more) that love power tools, one that signs, and an expert juicer. We wear make up everyday or we wear it when we have time. Some of us run and do crazy events, others cycle, one is injured and can’t do much! We live in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Minnesota but our shoestrings are tied and bound by our love of Christ and each other, and our overwhelming thankfulness of God’s amazing GRACE!
God can bring some friends into your life that transcend age, distance, career, and daily schedules and He ties your shoestrings so tight that it will take surgery to sever the bond!
So instead of believing lies about friendship, let’s look at God’s design and pray a dream to have these friends in our lives!
- “A friend loves at all times…” Proverbs 17:17 HCSB
- “…the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice.” Proverbs 27:9 NIV
- “…one friend sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17 MSG
Paul had many friends from his missionary trips and he wrote to many of them from a prison cell. Friends communicate in any way they can.
Friends pray for each other and give thanks for each other. Paul wrote in Philippians 1:3:
- “Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.” Philippians 1:3 NLT
- “Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another” James 516 HCSB – pick up the phone or get Free Conference Call dot com!
Friends look forward to the times when they can spend time together!
- “I don’t want to see you now just in passing, for I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord allows.” 1 Corinthians 16:7 HCSB
I will say that Christian friends require at least one common bond – JESUS CHRIST! God says in Scripture: “Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. For what partnership is there between righteousness and lawlessness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?” 2 Corinthians 6:14 HCSB and I believe this to be true for friendship.
As Christians we are to be light to the world and have non-Christian friends but to “…encourage one another and build each other up…” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 HSCB“The one who walks with the wise will become wise…” Proverbs 13:20 HCSB Walk with friends who have Godly wisdom ~ they are a dream come true and I thank God everyday for bringing these friends into my life…after the age of 30!
Find out more about Proverbs 31 Ministries Online Bible Studies here. Why not join us for our current study of The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands, by Lysa TerKeurst!Disclaimer: Welcome to my “31 Days to Dream” and thank you for joining me on this journey. I don’t hold the road map for October–God does! He is starting the journey by taking me down a path of memories, some of which I had long forgotten. He is showing me how He has made my childhood dreams come true in ways that I could never have imagined. He is giving me FAITH and HOPE for the road ahead. I am excited to see where He leads my dreaming over this month of #Write31Days 🙂 You can find my other 31 Days to Dream posts here!