Fearless Friday ~ Gaining Strength from Scripture in the Midst of Fear
I mean am I wrong to want my bed in the same room for more than six months?!?!
“Do we have to move ~ AGAIN!?” my heart cries!
Have you ever been in one of those periods of life that just bring change, change, change. Maybe it’s not moving and the resultant job changes for you. Maybe it’s an unsettled period of work where you have moved from one job to another. It could be an illness that just seems unrelenting. Or maybe you are just running from something in your heart that seems to have a persistent pursuit of your life causing you anguish and fear.
I joke about the fact that I’ve been a U.S. resident for 1 year and in that time lived in 3 States and spent 5 months in Scotland! It is a season of change, growth, discernment, submission, and obedience that requires a book to share! Living in temporary accommodation I am all to aware that another move is inevitable and it is just a matter of time which, needless to say, invites moments of anxiety and insecurity.
I have to admit though that Isaac had it a little worse than me. He was settled and prosperous in Gerar having been given protection from the people by the king of the Philistines ~ Abimelech (Genesis 26:11-13). However, the same king and his men became envious of Isaac and told him to leave ~ your once supportive supervisor/manager becomes threatened by your success and forces you out of the job.
Isaac departs and go through a time of settling, digging wells of water, being threatened, and moving ~ three wells in total. We are not told why he has to move on from the third well but he does and travels to Beersheba which is where the LORD appeared to him at night.
“And the LORD appeared to him the same night and said, ‘I am the God of Abraham your father. FEAR NOT, for I am with you and will bless you and multiply your offspring for my servant Abraham’s sake.'” Genesis 26:24 ESV (emphasis mine)
Often in Scripture when the LORD appears He is saying not to fear Him, however I believe that He is saying a comforting “fear not” your circumstances in this verse. The LORD is appearing to Isaac to remind him of Him covenant–His promise. He will be WITH him and BLESS him.
That is also His promise to us today ~ He is WITH US!
God’s Word is TRUE so think about these things:
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.'” Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV
- “It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.'” Deuteronomy 31:8 ESV
- “Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’” Hebrews 13:5 ESV
- “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10 HCSB
- “‘For I the LORD do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.” Malachi 3:6 ESV
- “Because God wanted to show His unchangeable purpose even more clearly to the heirs of the promise, He guaranteed it with an oath, so that through two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to seize the hope set before us. We have this hope as an anchor for our lives, safe and secure.” Hebrews 6:17-19 HCSB
When you are Faced with Constant Changes
The Lord is WITH YOU and Have a FEARLESS FRIDAY!
My life verse:
If you were encouraged by this ~ why not share it with a friend!